Medieval and Tudor
Lydiard House was the home of the St John family for more than 500 years. They inherited the house through marriage, when Margaret Beauchamp married Oliver St John. Margaret was a powerful, wealthy woman. In her second marriage, she married John Beaufort and was grandmother to Henry VII.
Margaret Beauchamp had inherited Lydiard Park from her father, and it was passed on to her second son, Oliver. Before the Beauchamp family, Lydiard Park was also held by the Grandison, Tregoze and Ewyas families.
Lydiard Park remained in the possession of the St John family until 1943, when it was sold to Swindon Corporation. In the 18th century, the family gained the title Viscount Bolingbroke, which paid tribute to Margaret Beauchamp. Through Margaret, the family claimed a distant connection to King Henry IV, who was born at Bolingbroke Castle.
In Medieval times, there was a deer park and manor house at Lydiard Park. St Mary’s Church dates back to medieval times and has wonderful examples of early architecture, sculpture, painted glass and metalwork.